market-farming - Being a Customer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Being a Customer
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:44:17 EDT

Hi Del,
I loved your observations, too.
One of the best experiences that helped me with my stand was being next to a
produce stand at one of our smaller markets. Kathy acknowledged every person
that walked up to her stand. She addresed everyone as M'am or Sir (I'm a
northener so this is not second nature to us as it is in the gracious South).
At first I thought this kind of weird, but after watching the results I
changed my mind. She sold nothing out of the ordinary but she did it with
extraordinary service......and she charged more than anyone else! Her stand
was always crowded.
I have to have help at our stand because I believe that it is inconvenient
for customers to stand in line. My kids help me and it has been the best way
to teach them about being curtious and helpful to others. How to phrase "Did
you find everything you were looking for?" which opened up the possibility
of another sale...instead of "Is that all?"
How to thank everyone for their business instead of saying "$4.50" and
grabbing the money so they could move on to the next. I could see in their
eyes after watching the customer's reaction that this was something they did
for them, not just a way to make more money.
I have observed many vendors sit and do nothing, just as you have, and I know
they must be frustrated as to why few people stop. Engaging in conversation
with customers not only makes them feel welome, but allows us to share
knowledge with them about different herbs we grow...it's a way of giving
better customer service to them.
One other observation I have made about customers is that if there is 1
person in front of your booth looking around, it always draws another person
or two. So when we have a lull in business, I take the opportunity to walk
around to the front of the booth and clean up, move things around a bit. It
always brings people over to the booth! :-)
Cheers!

Barbara Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm, OCIA cert
OakCamp AT aol.com