market-farming - Re: market-farming - Guardian Dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming - Guardian Dogs
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:30:27 -0400

Dori,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I lost a dear one some years ago,
though not a
Pyrennes. She roamed the area- had her own schedule. She started at a
neighbor's- a
single elderly woman- and would visit early. Then on to 2 others before
returning late
morning. She kept the area free of raccoons, deer, groundhogs, rabbits and
all those
things that ate our fruit and vegie plants. And was protective of the people
she
visited.

Someone poisoned her, according to the vet. She survived the poison (to the
surprise of
the vet) but declined in health rapidly and died soon after. I think the
poison did some
damage to her organs. Anyway, it's hard to lose a part of the farm crew-
much harder
than a pet because they are both pets and peers in work.

A note about Great Pyrennes- they do roam and are hard to keep confined.
That's why so
many mature dogs are available for adoption. People living in suburban areas
find they
can't keep them at home, even with fences. I would love to have one, but our
area is
just too developed- and getting more so each day. They are great working
dogs but need
lots of room to roam.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm