market-farming - Everybody in the 100 mile vicinity of Pueblo, CO?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Everybody in the 100 mile vicinity of Pueblo, CO?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:42:59

Dea list members:

Just returned to Indiana from a wonderful educational experience in SW CO.
to terrible news! Pueblo, CO. and the vicinity is under attack by our own
local government and the Pueblo Economic Development Corporation to install
and construct/operate a cement factory/strip mine facility. Pueblo is WELL
within the 20 mile DANGER ZONE per our Colorado Dept. of Public Health &
Environment - Air pollution control division. The facility, Grupo Cementos
de Chihuahua (GCC) dba the Rio Grande Portland Cement Corp. has been sited
by the dept. of health as a "MAJOR STATIONARY SOURCE" of pollution.

There will be a public hearing on Thursday, July 20th, at the Pueblo
Convention Center, from 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm, please plan to attend this
meeting to express your opinion concerning the construction of this
industrial facility. Information concerning the hazards to farmers, the
environment and the public health has been under wraps since April of 1999
and the facility was granted an initial permit on July 12, 2000. City
Council and PEDCO has been hiding the blatant facts considering the harm
this facility can cause our organic farming community! Please see the
website for additional information at:
www.cdphe.state.co.us/op/riograndepermit.pdf for the initial permit
granted and: www.cdphe.state.co.us/op/rioresponse.pdf for responses to
public comment including Impact analysis and numerous requests for denial
of permit.

Of those who don't live within the Pueblo area, this should be of concern
to you also in case your local area MAY grant such a request in the
future.

Please excuse me for posting this Lawrence, as I truly believe that this
could impact our future in sustainability, organic and natural farming and
the health of all concerned on this, and other, lists.

Blessings,
Ava