market-farming - Re: grass clippings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: grass clippings
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:15:55 -0400

Jim & Jo,

I have been composting mowings from our fields with leaves for years. Our
mower leaves
the mowings hay-like, they're coarse, not finely ground up like lawn mowers.
This is
better for composting since the finely chopped grass will mat and anaerobic
bacteria will
dominate. Research has shown that fine grinding is only necessary for woody
things like
branches and corn stalks. Breaking the outer layer of plant material is all
that's
needed for the bacteria to colonize the inside.

Also, grass is an excellent mulch. I let it dry on the field a few days
before using as
mulch so it won't heat up when I place it next to the plants. Experiments
have shown
that straw and hay mulch keep potato plants from attracting Colorado potato
beetles. And
it's free! (Just a little work, but not much more time or labor than hauling
manure and
hay from off-farm.) Straw and hay are also excellent habitat for spiders,
the frontline
of insect pest management.

About "pulling nitrogen from the soil as they decompose." This will only
happen if you
plow the material in. They call it "tying up the nitrogen." No, there
aren't S&M
creatures living in the soil. What this means is that the soil life can out
compete
plant life for nitrogen. When you plow material into the soil, you increase
food for the
bottom of that food chain and there's a population explosion on all feeding
levels. The
soil life uses all available nitrogen for amino acids and proteins. These
stay in the
foodweb until the population starts dying off. The N is still there, just in
living
animals. I call it an artificial N shortage.

When plant material decays (is fed on on the surface) the decomposition is
slower and
very little of the N in the soil is utilized. It's a different ecology that
feeds on the
dry material at the surface- fungally dominated as opposed to bacterially
dominated
within the soil.

As for optimal thickness- if you're using mulch to suppress weeds, the weeds
will tell
you how much is needed. If you're using it for soil moisture retention, your
experience
is the best judge. Observation is a farmer's best tool. It will depend on
what kind of
plants you're mowing (how stalk-like), what you're using it for, the crop
you're mulching
(don't want to bury them), how much it rains, your soil texture and
percolation...

The secret for avoiding weed seeds in the mulch is to mow before they set
seeds. But,
that's not always possible. you would have to keep it looking like a
suburban lawn.
But, take consolation in the fact that there are already billions of weed
seeds in the
soil and adding a few more are not going to make that much difference. At
least you
won't be importing new ones with manure or hay.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm