market-farming - Re: Garlic Seed, Market Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Garlic Seed, Market Prices
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:06:22 -0400

Tara,

First, I've never found anything on the web listing organic produce prices.
What I do is
check out store and farmers' market prices each week. I also check the big
produce
houses for their wholesale prices. (They print a new list each week. If
you're bashful
about asking them, ask a restaurant for theirs from last week.) The key is
to check
prices each week because they change. Also, keep track of this and you'll
see the major
trends very season.

Second, see my post on onion seeds earlier today. Garlic is in the same
family. The
flower heads are usually cut off while still young to cause larger bulb
growth. I cut
them off while they're still tender and sell them and replant cloves from the
largest
bulbs. (See earlier posts on garlic.) You can let the plants go to seed
(really small
bulbs) but it takes 2 years for them to mature and the parent bulbs will be
smaller.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm