market-farming - RE: Seed germanation helper?????

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <MirandaS AT creativehomeowner.com>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Seed germanation helper?????
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:49:00 -0400

I know a trick for parsley--the seeds are coated with a chemical that
inhibits germination until it is washed off. (Similar to Lamb's quarters in
that way.) Anyway, you can speed things up by soaking the parsley seeds for
a day and then putting them in a sieve--set the sieve over a glass near a
sink. Every time you pass it, run some cool water over the seeds, the more
the better. At night, put the seeds in a closed jar with a couple of wet
cotton balls to keep them from drying out. A couple of days of this
treatment and they'll germinate in four or five days.

Miranda