market-farming - Re: Walking paths

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Martin Koenig <koehoe AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Walking paths
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:26:40 -0800

We are in our first year at Blue Moon Farm and have started out with raised beds that are 50' long and range from 42-48" wide.  Most of our paths are 18"-24" wide and mulched with straw. Other main thoroughfares are 4' wide to accomodate our large cart.  Our beds our mounded, not hard-sided because of lack of time and money although I think it would be nice in the future to build wooden sides for the beds over time.  Weeds on the sides of our beds have been a real headache but we are going to try a flame-weeder to keep them under control and have thought about growing some wooly thyme on the sides of the bed for weed and erosion control.  We like the 50' length.  They are too wide to jump over and 100' is too long to walk around.

Margaret
Vashon Island, WA

Bronwyn Reimer wrote:

Hello,As a newbie to market farming, I was wondering what works for other folks concerning garden layouts.  I would be interested in hearing bed widths, walking path widths, row lengths, things like that.Thank-you,BronwynNorthern IN, Zone 5

  • Walking paths, Bronwyn Reimer, 05/26/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Walking paths, BBGREGSON, 05/26/2000
    • Re: Walking paths, Martin Koenig, 05/26/2000