market-farming - Re: Guineas and Bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Guineas and Bees
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:39:36 -0400

>Leigh, watch those guinea fowl with your corn. When it's up one to two
>inches they will walk down a row and pull up every plant. Their favourite
>leaves seem to be brassicas, with broccoli at the top of the list - they
>know good food when they see it. I fought them each spring with a sling
>shot until I wore out and shipped them.

I guess it's a good thing that some Predator is making short work of our
guinea population. We've had a 50% guinea mortality this spring. Just
like the peacock (which got fried last summer when they flew to the top of
the roof for safety at the same time lightning struck the house) , a nice
experiment, but they don't seem to work out with farming vegetables.