market-farming - stockless farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Martin Cooke <m.cooke AT dcs.shef.ac.uk>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: stockless farming
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:58:01 +0100

Is anyone out there practising stockless market farming (or what is
called vegan organics by some)? Here, I mean no inputs of animal origin,
whether or not they're generated on one's own farm.

As a subsidiary Q, does anyone know of successful attempts at
*sustainable* stockless farming, where all fertility is generated on the
farm without animals? I'm particularly interested in the ratio of
productive to green manure land required. I've seen some putative ratios
in Coleman's book (1:1 for already fertile land), but does anyone
practise it?

This question is inspired by a spate of letters which appeared in
today's Guardian newspaper (UK), including one from a certain Mr Avery
:-), attempting to link organic food with food poisoning, presumably
through the use of insufficiently composted animal manure. Not that I'm
accepting his claims (and don't want to start a debate on them here),
but its interesting to consider whether vegan organics is beyond
reproach to the likes of Avery.

Martin