market-farming - _.Fully_ Field Ready Computing!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Bennett" <dbennett AT micoks.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: _.Fully_ Field Ready Computing!
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:17:00 -0500

Many of you know that I use a Palm Vx as my computer. The one remaining
concern I had about this was field use in heavy rain or snow. I've gotten it
wet before in the rain & dropped it onto pretty soggy ground.

Now I've solved that problem! Or rather, took an idea from an unrelated field
& applied it to my situation. Ewa-Marine makes bags for divers for cameras &
such. One diver mentioned in an article that he used their "water wallet" to
take his Palm to 300' & use it!

I immediately called the American distributor & ordered one. ($29) It arrived
today & it was raining. I slipped my Palm Vx into it & went of to work on a
local project of beautifying the grounds at the Ursuline Sisters home. 4
hours working outdoors in rainy, humid weather planting & revitalizing grape
vines & the Palm survived worry-free. What's more, I can use it while it is
in the water-wallet! Writing on it is just like normal. And the viewing is so
clear that if you didn't see it you wouldn't know the bag was there.

Very nice product that has extended computing into a 100% real-time, onsite
in agriculture experience for me.

Dave