market-farming - Re: Fwd: North American Lavender Conference

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cappy AT harborside.com
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Ava Devenport <essenheal AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: North American Lavender Conference
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:29:17 -0700

Quoting Ava Devenport <essenheal AT hotmail.com>:

> Good Morning, Lawrence:
>
> I'm back from the SW and just picked up this info on
the Lavender
> Conference
> (one of my favorite herbs) and believe it would be of
interest to others on

> the list.
>
> Blessings,
> Ava
>

> >From: Smallfarm-owner <smallfarm-owner AT reeusda.gov>
> >To: Multiple Recipients of the List
<smallfarm AT reeusda.gov>
> >CC: "'cbeus AT co.clallam.wa.us'"
<cbeus AT co.clallam.wa.us>
> >Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:09:41 -0400
> >
> >NORTH AMERICAN LAVENDER CONFERENCE
> >
> >Dear Friends and Colleagues,
> > WSU Cooperative Extension and the Sequim
Lavender Growers Association
> >are co-sponsoring the first-ever North American
Lavender Conference on
> July
> >17 and 18, 2000. The conference site will be
beautfiul Sequim, WA, a
> >community that is rapidly becoming a major region
for lavender production,
> >agritourism, and value-added lavender products. The
conference will have
> >information for those interested in growing,
marketing, and processing
> >lavender, as well as for those
> >using lavender in cooking, aromatherapy, and
naturopathic medicine. The
> >keynote speakers include Dr. Arthur Tucker of
Delaware State University;
> >David Christie of Jersey Lavender in England;
Anthony Lyman-Dixon, an herb
> >historian from England; B.J. Duft of the Herb Farm
in Fall City, WA; Hope
> >Sandler a well-known culinary educator, chef and
cookbook author; Maureen
> >Rogers, editor and publisher of "The Bu$iness of
Herbs," a quarterly trade
> >journal for the herb industry; Andy Van Hevelingen,
owner-operator of Van
> >Hevelingen Herb Nursery in Oregon.
> > The entire conference program, registration
information, and other
> >info
> >can be found on the conference website at:
> >http://www.lavenderfarms.com/nalc/index.html
> >
> > This will be an outstanding event--one that
will not only provide
> >participants with a lot of practical information,
but one that will be an
> >opportunity to network and rub shoulders with
lavender enthusiasts from
> >across the country and around the world. There is a
lot of interest
> >building around lavender and its many uses. Anyone
interested in this
> >unique herb should seriously consider attending this
conference.
> > The conference will take place immediately
following the 4th annual
> >Sequim Lavender Festival. So, if you're attending
the conference you may
> >want to consider coming early so you can partake of
the festivities of
> this
> >wonderful community festival which is built around
the area's lavender
> >industry. The website for the Sequim Lavender
Festival can be found at:
> >http://www.cityofsequim.com/lavender/
> >
> >If you have any questions about this event, please
feel free to contact me
> >(at the number below or by e-mail) or Ian Caldicott
at 360-681-8588 or
> >ian AT lavenderfarms.com.
> >
> >Please feel free to forward this message to
individuals, organizations,
> and
> >list-serves that you feel might be interested in
this event.

> >Thanks.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Curtis Beus
> >Chair, WSU Cooperative Extension
> >Clallam County
> >P.O. Box 863
> >Port Angeles, WA 98362-0149
> >(360) 417-2279
> >
> >Ever experienced "vuja de"? (Translated: "I've
never been here before and
> >nothing looks familiar). -- George Carlin
> >

> >--

> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
> with message text containing: subscribe market-farming

Hello everyone.

The lavender festival and this year's conference that
follows is really going to be exciting.
I've been chatting with Ian Caldicott in Sequim, and
heard some of the updates for this summer. He said one
couple is traveling from Australia for the event.

The lineup of speakers sounds great.

I attended the lavender festival last year - wow! What
a wonderful experience - never saw so much lavender.
Hope they're making that lavender cheesecake again this
year.
The first day took place downtown in conjunction with
the local farmers market. Lavender everything,
everywhere. Delightful demonstrations, interesting
booths, and great growing and marketing information.

The next was spent meandering about out at some of the
farms. Dreamy.

Lavender has really put Sequim, Washington on the map.
A real boost in economic development.

Don't miss it.

Cappy on the Oregon coast.
It's well worth the trip and time to attend both the
festival and the conference, especially if you're
invloved with lavender in any way.