market-farming - Re: [Market-Farming] Blew my mind today--lessons learned on new ag job

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Market-Farming] Blew my mind today--lessons learned on new ag job
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 17:30:00 EDT

Can't remember if I read this in Lao Tzu or Wendell Berry:
"The best fertilizer is the footsteps of the farmer."

I guess we lost this when farmers climbed up out of the dust behind Dobbin and entered the air-conditioned lung-saving John Deere cabs. I am not going to ever fault anybody for saving their backs or their lungs -- that's why I keep experimenting here to attempt to figure out how we can have it all, ecological sustainability for the soil and financial and physical sustainability for the farmer.

There sure aren't any easy answers. We might all have to work together and even bring the consumers into the act to find what works.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY
http://www.ic.org/agrove