market-farming - bread mixes, dried herb mixes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob & Mary Buffo" <buffo AT hit.net>
  • To: "market farming digest" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: bread mixes, dried herb mixes
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:42:26 -0500

Dear Farmer Del,
Yes, subject of herb mixes brought up by me.  Our market is restrictive to products from  the state of Ks. and in the last two years, these questions have been brought up concerning mixes made from bulk herbs (and teas) from outside the state.  Our rules say that it must contain some Ks. product.  (No percents mentioned in rules)  This year it is allowable to sell these products if a ks. product is included, no matter how small the amount.  The members are required to list on their profile the WHAT that is included to make it comply.  (Teas- contain some Ks. chamomile, etc)  This IS NOT my idea of a state product, but this product was "bullied" into our market a year and a half ago, and now has been "grandfathered" so to speak.  It is not my opinion that is required in my role of being a membership/grievance committee member, just to be sure the rules (as written) are followed.  Sometimes in our effort to simplify the rules, they can come off as rather vague.  This year, mixing and packaging  do not a state product make- it MUST contain a Ks. product. (Yes, even salt from Hutchinson would count!)  Bread mixes must contain something from Ks as well.  Of course, flour is abundant here, but not always the right kind for certain breads, so again, herbs from ks, will suffice the rules.  I don't recommend this stance for other markets, as I still wonder how this could possibly be enforced.  Our market (one of two in Wichita) is a "produce" market. It is the only one w/ restrictions against shipped in stuff, and most of the customers that come, are coming to buy produce and baked goods that are local.  We do allow handcrafted, cottage items, but these vendors aren't the draw, and frankly don't know how well they do.  Our rules don't require vendors to share those $ figures.  It is a perfect example of how 5-8 growers started 10 years ago with simple rules and expectations, and now it has grown to almost 100 members, a few quibbles each year, and those simplistic rules that don't address these "value-added" products or meat products very clearly.  Thanks to Claire for sending me some sample rules to review and compare.....very eye opening.  They arrived Monday, and still reviewing them.  Good Luck, Del!
Mary

  • bread mixes, dried herb mixes, Bob & Mary Buffo, 05/09/2000