market-farming - Re: Wire worms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Wire worms
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 10:36:26 -0700

Wire worms must thrive in coastal northern California. I'm in Point
Reyes, in Marin County, right on the coast. I've had wire worm problems
in both lettuce and potatoes. With lettuce, the seedling wilts, and when
I pull it up, I see that a wire worm has tunneled up the root system
into the stalk of the plant. With potatoes, they burrow into the tubers,
and can sometimes be seen sticking out of the potato when it is dug. I
understand that they come from manure, and that they feed on grass
roots. They are usually found in ground that has been in pasture.
Repeated tilling over a period of 2 or 3 years and the elimination of
grass (use legumes as a winter cover instead of grass-type plants),
along with taking care to thouroughly compost any manure used to a
temperature of 160 degrees will help, but not eliminate the problem.
Good luck- Peter