market-farming - Re: Early blight on tomatos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Susan Truxell Sauter <ssauter2 AT wvu.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Early blight on tomatos
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 11:25:47 -0400

Hi Cheri,

Here in West Virginia, I always make sure to grow "West Virginia 63s" --
developed specifically to be blight resistant. They aren't the greatest
tomatoes--medium size, average flavor but at least you've got something.
Of course I grow a bunch of other types too. Last year I laid down brown
paper bags (I figured I'd try that instead of buying "planting paper" I
saw advertised in Johnny's I think), then mulch hay atop that under my
heirlooms. No probs. Also, I favor growing indeterminates vs. determinate
varieties which tend to be more blight resistant. Info for next year, right?

WV63s I believe I've seen in that "Totally Tomatoes" catalog. I get mine
locally.

Susan in Zone 5, Bruceton Mills (Preston Co.), W.Va.

At 10:29 AM 5/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I am having a problem with early blight on tomatoes. I have destroyed
>the badly infected plants, but am hoping to save the rest. I also have
>some new seedlings emerging from flats the last few days - these are
>heirlooms and I would hate to loose them also.
>
>I would appreciate hearing anyone's organic suggestions. This is the
>first time I have had to deal with blight.
>
>Thanks so much,
>
>Cheri Shelnutt
>Sweet Hollow Farm
>NE Tennessee
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: ssauter2 AT wvu.edu
$subst('Email.Unsub')