market-farming - Re: Market restrictions-HELP!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Patrick Mulkey <Mulkey AT TUNL.TUNL.DUKE.EDU>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market restrictions-HELP!
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 13:56:53 -0400

In the Carrboro (NC) Farmers' Market we allow only vendors within 50 miles who produce what they sell. We have those who sell value added, crafts, bake goods and produce. The crafts/bake goods is limited to 15% of the selling spaces which is 12 of our 80 spaces. We have not let in any new craft/bake goods vendors in the pass 3 or 4 years. I sell bake goods in addition to produce and plants but I had to have my kitchen inspected by the State Agriculture Dept. at no cost. I must label my products and have my well tested each year. A copy of these documents are require by the market before selling. The kitchen inspection is a one time thing by the state.
As for the meat end which we are getting more vendor interest, they have to be USDA and State approved. We also require documents on file with our market manager. The vendor is the one at risk for a bad products not the market.
We enforce by inspection. We pick 7 current vendors each year in addition to new vendors to inspect. If there is something unusual about a vendor's product we will inspect without notice. This has worked for us as our old market manager and current board member at the time some 6 years ago was caught selling produce that was not his. This was done by a surprise inspection after market. The board invited him to a meeting but he did not attend to respond to the charges and never came back to the market.
Another example is we have an annual meeting each Feb. for the membership to attend and elect board members. As long as I have been a member (13 years) it has been on the 3rd Sat in Feb.You are require to attend in order to reserve your space for the upcoming season. We had 2 members who did not attend. They receive notice that they would lose their reserve space. They can still sell at the market but they have no reserve space for the season. They have to call the market manager every Thur. night to see if there is a space for them that week.
This system has worked for us now 22 years, email me at mulkey AT duke.tunl.edu" if you have any questions.

Patrick Mulkey

Hello All-
Thanks for the response on the lengths of season at some of your markets.  Wow, some of you have LONG market seasons.......only 6 months here at the Wichita farmers markets. (We have two).  I need some help with market restrictions, specifically, how are the rules enforced?  Our market is restricted to Kansas grown/made products, and has been since its beginning.  It is not designated as a producer only market, but that was the intent when formed.  The reason it wasn't formed as producer only, is because some of those involved in the beginning were selling produce from neighboring farms.  It has grown alot and changed a little over the 10 years, and no longer does every grower know every other grower.  The rules can be hard to enforce, as we have growers who do buy out of state produce for the other market(s) they attend.  Two biggest concerns for me (I am on the membership/greivance committee) are 1) a couple of "value-added" items that are being sold as Kansas items.  China Lake Teas (is this a national brand?) and some herb mixes that (we are certain) are made from out-of-state bulk dried herbs, but mixing/packaging/marketing done in Ks. by member.  Rules state that item must contain Kansas product.  No percentages mentioned-does not mention mixing and packaging counting as "product".  These products were allowed last year by a spine-less board last year after committee turned it down, and the vendor/board member threatened lawsuit.(She quit the board after they allowed the product.)  This is a lesson in being strong on compliancy the FIRST time.  2)The second major concern is the processed/packaged/frozen meat items.  The concern is for our market, and legality of allowing these for sale.  I am studying the archives here, but it seems that not only from state to state, but from county to county, are the standards quite a bit different.  What is the best way to investigate what our market is held liable for, without setting off an alarm for the "powers that be" to look for a business to be shut down?  What do YOUR market rules say about meat products?  We have seven vendors that wish to sell beef, pork, chicken, buffalo, and venison.  I have tried some of these products, and they are good, but want to make sure our market is protected from possibility of a bad situation. Our rules state that all vendors must comply on their own, with the state laws. (Baked good and jellies are to be done in a certified kitchen, and labeled properly, all vendors are to obtain own tax id #, etc.) We do not "police" this, but the meat situation concerns us against turning a blind eye. We (the Market) carry liability on products sold at our market location, and few vendors carry additional insurance.  Our market has upwards of 90 members, and an average of 35-40 stalls each Sat. during season.  It has grown so much in the last two years with part time growers, bakers, and crafters.( One lady wanted to sell gazing balls, garden clogs, and water plants.  Told her the water plants were OK, but not the other items, unless made in KS.) Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice or experiences you can give.  Feel free to email a personal messege, as I am not sure how "value-added" this topic may be to others.  By the way, my daughter and I wear denem hats with big sunflowers on them, along with veggie print vests or blouses, and green aprons for our "uniform". Overalls aren't too handy for us gals!
 Rainy Day Dreamin', Mary
PS Thanks to Ava for the nice response for the Plant A Row Campaign:)