market-farming - RE: Market restrictions-HELP!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Market restrictions-HELP!
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:01:32 -0500

> From: Liz Pike[SMTP:pike AT always-online.com]
> >It is not designated as a producer only market, but that was the intent
> when formed
>
> "Intents" are not enforceable. Designations of saleable goods (produce,
> crafts, value added items, etc), need to be in writing, and signed copies
> from all vendors kept on file. This should be done at the beginning of
> each
> marketing season as a gentle reminder for returning and new vendors. It
> isn't fair to new vendors if they do not know exactly what is and isn't
> allowed. And it also isn't fair to your customers not to know what to
> expect. Simple, explicit rules are easier to enforce.

And I'd like to add, nothing is enforceable if the people who run the market
don't want to enforce. Our market has rules about the percentages of produce
a seller has to grow, we all sign them at the beginning of the season, but
the biggest offenders are the President and Vice president and 2 on the
board, (and this year they didn't even bother to have elections - in fact,
I'm not sure when the last elections were held). I spent a lot of time and
energy in the beginning (9 years ago) trying to get good rules that could be
enforced, and it was a waste of time. Do I burn when these 'farmers'(who
look like they do exactly what they do - drive to Nashville for their
produce - watermelons the first of May!!!), have a display that rivals
Kroger every market day regardless of season ? Especially when they tell
the customers it's "homegrown" ? When we have the first tomatoes at market
by 4 weeks, and have to compete with the red baseballs they tumble on their
tables ? Of course, every time. But there is nothing we can do about it. I
had hoped they would eventually die off and we could have a real market, but
the second generation is now into it, and they're younger than we are. We
tell our customers that we grow everything we sell, if they ask, we direct
them to other farmers, and we live with it. Make good rules up front,
enforce them, don't allow non-producers to join - if you do, you'll live to
regret it (if you're a farmer)./

Alison Wiediger
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com