market-farming - Presentation to town council

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Eric johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: <mrosenkrantz AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Presentation to town council
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:05:55 -0400

<Try www.openair.org.  I have been involved with a farmers' market in New
<London, CT and have also worked for muncipal government.  I have my files in
<storage including an article about downtown development and farmers'
<markets.  Let me know if I can be of any help.  Mike Rosenkrantz

Thanks for your response, Mike. I appreciate it. I wonder if you might have anything on the benefits of a farmers market to the surrounding businesses? I need to convince the town council that it would be to their benefit if they allow me to organize a farmers market on the trade lot versus  merely letting farmers sell there for free whenever they want except on the "trade day" when there is a booth rental fee.

This would allow for better public awareness and hopefully better sales since the buyers and sellers would have a better chance of being there at the same time. also then maybe we could work on a system of reserving booth space. The trade day is all first-come-first-served, with most of the booths filled the night before.

thanks,
Amy K. Johnson
Johnsons' Produce Patch
Long Island, VA