market-farming - Re: Weed ID?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Weed ID?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:54:55 -0400

> I am told that I will have a problem with a weed called "Velvet leaf". I
>was told this by some local farmers. I didn't experiance any last year, but
>I am told it is spreading rapidly, and tough to kill. I'm in the Mohawk
>valley in NY, between Albany and Utica.
> I have tried to look it up, to no avail. Does any one know any more
>common names for it, scientific? How did you control it? Any help
>appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Cindy
> The Farm Works
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: uai AT alltel.net
>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
>with message text containing: subscribe market-farming

Dear Cindy,

I have velvet leaf on my farm. I don't have much of it and if it spreads I
know I am doing something wrong. It is an indicator weed, and as such I
like it. It lets me know if I have too much potassium in soluble form in
the soil. It likes to soak up excess potassium. If you use salt fertilizer
that has potassium chloride in it maybe you could have the experience that
it spreads rapidly and is tough to kill. But I've been farming this land
for 25 years and never had that experience here. What? Me worry?

Best,
Hugh Lovel

  • Weed ID?, hmdrawrod, 04/16/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Weed ID?, William E. Barry, 04/16/2000
    • Re: Weed ID?, Hugh Lovel, 04/16/2000