market-farming - Re: tomatostakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dave Bennett <dbennett AT micoks.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tomatostakes
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:48:08 -0500

robert schuler wrote:

> The pvc will bend over in a wind storm and the weight of the tomatos
> will cause the row to fall,the twine will slip off, and pvc can shatter
> when driven in the ground, a lower cost alt. is 3/8 rebar, actually you
> can get the wood stakes from wallyworld but they seem to be lower
> quality, Im lucky to live in tomato country so stakes are easy to get
> but I think you may find them at a good price at the big box stores and
> clubs... I would not want to risk my mortgage on pvc stakes...
> Sunny Meadow Farm...

We definitely have a lot of wind here in Eastern Kansas so that would be
a problem. Rebar sounds good. My thinking was that it would be easier to
sterilze or clean PVC, or rebar as you mentioned, than wood.

This year is a test year of different kinds of tomatoes for us and I've
built a lot of tomato cages from reinforcing wire. Any thoughts on this
approach?

--

Dave Bennett