market-farming - Job Announcement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "sanet" <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>
  • Cc: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <Market-Farmers AT onelist.com>, "community supported agriculture," <csa AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Job Announcement
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 00 10:13:15 -0800

ASSISTANT GROWER WANTED FOR OREGON ORGANIC FARM

Creative Growers is a diversified farm on 22 acres, located 20 miles west
of Eugene. The farm is divided into 3 acres of market garden, and 13
acres of pasture. We raise high quality vegetables and cut flowers for
several restaurants in Eugene, as well as a small CSA. We also have an
expanding pastured poultry operation, raising and processing about 1,600
chickens last season.

We take a systems approach to farming, viewing the farm as a series of
interlocking enterprises, each ideally designed to support and enhance
the others. Efficiency is balanced with ideology, and we try to shrug
off most descriptive labels. Although not Certified Organic, all produce
is raised according to the basic tenants of organic agriculture. A wide
array of tools are used to achieve balanced soil fertility, including
cover cropping, mineral and other amendments, and intensive pasture
management.

Our goal in farming is to form a flexible system that helps balance the
needs of land, economics, and people. It is an ongoing process to
discover means of sustaining both our farm and ourselves, while providing
clean food to our customers.

GENERAL WORKFARE
Assistant Grower position runs from April through October 31. Includes
weekdays, and on-farm chores every other weekend. 2 3-day weekends and 1
4-day weekend are provided.

We have a structured work week, that changes throughout the week and
season. Workdays will average 8 hours with interspersed short breaks,
and include an hour lunch break. The workday schedule is flexible,
however, with longer days during peak times, and truncated days during
periods of unbearable heat.

We strive to create a supportive, thriving working and learning
environment. Our goal is to work with each other (as opposed to for) to
enhance our skills and minimize our limitations in meeting the demands of
an intensive farm season. Above all, to learn and have fun through our
work. Farming is a fluid art and discipline, cultivated by many small
steps taken and continual observation of where those steps lead. Few, if
any, aspects of the farm are set in granite. Learning and working, while
trying at times, should be fun as well as challenging.

QUALIFICATIONS & PAY
Have at least 2 seasons working on farms recently. Have ability to
reason through problems with a reasonable level of self-reliance, and
assertiveness to ask questions and help improve existing systems.
Comfortable working both alone and with others. Have communication
skills to enable assistance guiding the learning/training of apprentice.
Willing & able to work long hours outside.

This Farm is NOT For You If: You are unable to participate with the daily
care of animals that will end up as food. Are not comfortable working
outdoors, doing tedious, uncomfortable tasks. Unable to work
independently, and unwilling to make mistakes. Do not possess a sense of
humor.

Pay Schedule is a monthly stipend that increases over the course of the
season, averaging $500 per month. Additionally, a season-end bonus is
provided upon completion of season, as well as a 1% gross sales
profit-share bonus. Target season pay total, with all bonuses, is about
$4000, weighted towards the end of the season. Housing is provided in a
fully equiped 20 ft. diameter yurt behind the farmhouse, as well as all
food (except luxury items). Workman's Comp. Insurance coverage is
provided, as well as 2 coupons for sessions with a liscenced massage
therapist.

Inquiries can be mailed, emailed, or phoned to:
Aaron Silverman
88741 Torrence Rd.
Noti, Oregon 97461
(541) 935-7952
cgrowers AT pond.net

  • Job Announcement, Aaron Silverman, 03/18/2000