market-farming - Fungal inoculants (was Mycostop)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: farm2gates AT excite.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Fungal inoculants (was Mycostop)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:00:46 -0800 (PST)

I get the digest mode, so I'm not responding in the usual manner. (That also
means I take 4 to 7 days to respond to messages.)

On 07 Mar 2000, Lawrence F. London asked "...Are there other fungal
inoculants that can be used to grow healtheir seedlings?..."

Yes, there are. (In my off the farm life) the ag. company I work for is
looking into this. You can access a list of commercially available products
for biocontrol of plant pathogens from the the home page of the USDA-ARS
Biocontrol of Plant Diseases Lab at
http://www.barc.usda.gov/psi/bpdl/bpdl.html

However, it was last updated January 1999. Once you know the names of the
products/companies, you can search for them the usual way. Most of these are
bacteria antagonistic to common plant pathogens like alternaria, fusarium,
pythium, rhizoctonia, verticillium, etc.

The products easiest to find are Kodiak, Mycostop, Rootshield, SoilGard, and
T-22 Planter Box. I have these in the Johnny's and Peaceful Valley catalogs.
T-22 may be available locally because it is now "mainstreaming" for corn and
soybeans.

Fungal inoculants like mycorrhizae are not on the USDA list. We got some
good hits by searching for "mycorrhizae",and "vesicular-arbuscular
mycorrhizae". I have seen this type product for sale in the Nichols and
Gardens Alive catalogs.

Hope this is helpful.

Julie M. Willingham
The Farm of Two Gates