market-farming - Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:25:42 EST

Hi Rose;

A self-service farmstand has been extremely successful for us. It's about 8
x 14 and includes an old glass-front Coca Cola cooler, a scale, bags,
countertops and a lockbox attached firmly to the wall. It's always open; we
keep it stocked all year with whatever is available; people come in, select,
leave money and really like the concept. It's about 800 feet off the road
(down our driveway) with appropriate signage for parking, etc. This
generates about 60% of our income. And our CSA customers also pick up their
bags in the same cooler on Wed. and Friday afternoons. We highly recommend
this.

Bob and Bonnie Gregson
Island Meadow Farm
VVashon, WA