market-farming - Re: Soil books

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil books
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:54:54 -0500

Here's an annotated list of some soil books I recommend for my classes and
workshops:

The Nature and Properties of Soils, Nyle C. Brady, MacMillan Publ. Co. – The
classic
textbook for undergraduate soil science, packed with information about soils.

Building Soils for Better Crops: Organic Matter Management, Fred Magdoff,
University of
Nebraska Press – 2/3 of book written in layman's terms, 1/3 in scientific.
Great for
understanding organic matter. The University of Nebraska Press, 312 N 14th
Street, Box
880484, Lincoln, NE 68588-0484, 800-755-1105, 402-472-6214 Fax

Hands-On Agronomy, Neal Kinsey, Acres USA – Kinsey is a consultant and this
book sums up
his knowledge of soil minerals and fertility.

The Albrecht Papers, William A. Albrecht, Ph.D., Acres USA – Albrecht spent
his life
researching soils and plant & animal nutrition. These volumes contain all his
writings.
Some are repetitious, but overall an education. His method is used by Kinsey
and others.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Walden Ridge, TN