market-farming - Re: for the male subscibers was Re: women and small market gardens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: for the male subscibers was Re: women and small market gardens
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:26:01 -0500

> > I hope this helps others of you out there who face the same challenges.
> > How
> > about sharing
> > your experiences and how you've learned to cope with the pressures of
> > farming?
> >
> > Alex
>
> -I have found my husband and I do best when we each acknowledge the others
> strengths.
> My husband is the practical nuts and bolts person and I am the creative,
> people person.
> I come up with the ideas and he tells me if they can be implemented. We
> approach things
> very differently and when we work together we can compliment each other. I
> think our
> toughest times were when we first came to this farm and there was so MUCH
> to do. We had
> babies and it seemd to me he was forever out on a tractor somewhere
> inaccessible to me.
> We specically wanted to go in the direction of the market garden so that it
> involves
> less machinery and something we all are able to be involved in.

I think things kind of turned a corner for us when we were able to have
time to
ourselves and actually get together on our plans. I had one vision of what I
wanted and
he had another so we had to bring our vision in line with each other. I
think it has
helped that we both have a passion for this kind of life. I read an article
in "Sharing
The Harvest" and the title was Why Do I Farm? The jist of it was that he
farmed because
it was in his blood. The first spring days drew him to his work so he would
of done it
just because it was there! We had a warm spurt of spring-like weather
yesterday and my
husband and I were both commenting on the urge to get to work that comes with
spring.
Sue