market-farming - Re: Squash Blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Squash Blossoms
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:50:09 -0800

We harvest ours in the early morning when they've still got dew on them and
the bumblebees are sleepy. Carefully knock out the bees if they're inside.
We pick the ones that have already opened and closed up again.
We like to pack them above ice, so they stay cool and dry. They'll get brown
& slimy if they get wet. Deliver the day you harvest, don't try to hold them
for long.
Try Seneca Butterblossom from FEDCO. It's a zucchini that was bred
specifically for lots of beautiful male blossoms. The fruits are also pretty
good, medium green. We also get lots of male blossoms from our
pumpkin/winter squash plants. They only need so many, and once they've been
robbed of pollen they're of no use to the plants anyway.

Shelley
Whistling Train Farm
Kent, WA