market-farming - Re: cover crop in potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hartwig" <hartwig AT pioneer.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: cover crop in potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:48:36 +0000

Dear Alison,

We haven't tried a cover crop in our potatoes...at least on purpose.
We have had a lot of volunteer clover reappear the last two years.
Our children were in charge of weeding that spot and missed much of
the clover and other weeds. The potatoes end up with a lot of raised
marks where the roots were seeking moisture. The potatoes are
ugly and not suitable for sharing. We eat them.

Linda Hartwig
Meadow Spring Farms
Blodgett, OR