market-farming - organic weed control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: organic weed control
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:10:01 -0500

As I am finalizing seed orders etc. for our market garden I am vowing
again this year to have a better handle on the weeds. Our main
vegetables will be squash, tomatoes, peppers, corn, beans and soybeans.
Any helpful hints? I am planning on planting clover in with the
squash. How does this work for any of you? We have a mechanical
transplanter that does not plant thru plastic so if we use plastic mulch
it will have to be planted by hand and that seems overwhelming to me. I
have used mulch hay with a little success on the tomatoes and peppers
last year but the mulch hay broke down too soon and the weeds came thru
so I am looking for another way to handle that his year. thank you.
Sue