market-farming - Re: customer perceptions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: customer perceptions
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:06:39 -0500

I don't believe customers are out to "rip off" farmers. Over time,
they've been sold a bill of goods that says the cheapest price is
best, everything is negotiable, small growers/retailers don't need
the money as much as the big boys (overhead is less), etc. This is
why Walmart is so popular, yet comes under fire, being blocked by
communities not willing to sell out their way of life.

We as market growers must educate the consumers as to what goes into
producing our produce/flowers/herbs, etc. As Lucy said, once they
see, they understand, and are willing to support local growers with
their wallets. We must relieve their wariness by proving our worth.
We can't afford big dollar advertising, but attractive displays, full
bins, free samples, newsletters, recipes, photos, roomy bags, ability
to make change, & especially a "Hello" when they approach our booth
goes a long way to putting a face on what they purchase. These open
wallets and hearts so much so that your customers will consider you a
friend!

Liz

PS In the grocery store yesterday, I ran into 2 customers, older
ladies who had me help them pick out some produce. Produce manager
watched, then asked if I wanted a job!! Said I sounded so
knowledgeable--but also wondered why I discouraged the grapes from
Chile!!