market-farming - Re: Slow list today-fm customer perceptions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Slow list today-fm customer perceptions
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:10:03 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:52:55 -0600, market farming wrote:

> I'm curious whether anyone has tried handing out a statement about
> conventional food production and distribution, maybe describing the path
> grocery store lettuce follows - from harvest by underpaid disadvantaged
> workers, then 2000 miles on a truck, then several days in cold storage,
etc.
> I'd be really interested to hear whether the complaining customers care
> about this, whether they're uncomfortable with food from far away -

We haven't made a leaflet to pass out but we do put up a bulletin board with
farm pictures/news and articles about organic food and conventional foods.
A nice graphic about how food gets to the grocery store would be good, much
more effective than a longish article about the same thing.

I have been suprised at how effective the bulletin board has been. People do
stop to read it and look at the pictures and often than buy something. It
gets people talking and asking us questions about organics and our farm and
thus we embark on a relationship with these people that usually ends in
repeat customers.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH