market-farming - Soil Blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Soil Blocks
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 00 08:13:53 -0800

I did not include the blocking mix formula in my mix yesterday, as I seem
to have "lost" all my worksheets made in developing the dang thing. Just
took some time to get the company to fax me a copy from their computer:

25% perlite
8% vermiculite
32% peat moss
3% mason sand
12% aged sawdust
10% composted horse manure
10% composted chicken manure

I supply the perlite & vermiculite, and purchase the rest from the mixing
company. This mix on its own is acidic (peat & aged sawdust), and doesn't
really have enough fertility, either short or long term, to satisfy most
transplants or cutting greens. I supply the company 200 lbs of a custom
fertilizer blend (2-2-2 w/ 300lbs Ca per ton) when dropping off the
perlite & vermiculite. Additionally, when hydrating the mix for blocking
we put in some humic acid, finely ground lime, and either seabird or bat
guano. The guano provides enough short term nitrogen for everything,
while the rest of the mix provides longer term fertility for the
transplants and the field in general.

I should point out that our choice to stick with soil blocks is not
necessarily strictly an economical one. Until we finish developing a low
cost seeder, the labor involved is far higher with blocks than with plug
flats (we use these for flowers & aliums). The benefit for us is it is a
fairly economical means of adding fertility to the field (only a portion
of our fertility program), and the mix is recycled in either future mixes
or, more commonly, in establishing various beds around our farm (not in
the field). I personally like the system, and feel it produces healthier
transplants - for me.

As for block size for cutting greens - most greens are raised in the
smaller blocks (1.25"?). The exception in the past has been tatsoi (a
very minor one) raised in 2" blocks.

Aaron

Creative Growers
Aaron Silverman
88741 Torrence Rd.
Noti, Or. 97461
cgrowers AT pond.net
Quality Produce & Pastured Poultry

  • Soil Blocks, Aaron Silverman, 02/16/2000