market-farming - American Farm Bureau... again!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: JCNews <jcnews AT yosemite.leepfrog.com>, sanet <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>, orGANicgrowing AT egroups.com, Market Farming List <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: American Farm Bureau... again!
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:51:15 -0800

From Ericka Dana, Catnip Farm
--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.
----------
From: Laurel Hopwood <laurel.hopwood AT sierraclub.org>
To: ban-GEF list <Ban-GEF AT lists.greenbuilder.com>
Subject: B-GE: Litmus Test
Date: Tue, Feb 15, 2000, 5:58 AM
-------------------------
PLEASE SPREAD THIS AROUND

The American Farm Bureau contacted Frito-Lay. Amongst the usual
propoganda, the AFB letter stated they are "troubled by the recent
announcement that you have decided to suspend purchases of corn produced
through biotechnology. We are concerned that your decision will send waves
of uncertainty through the food industry that could slow, or possibly stop,
advances in this technology. We hope you will reconsider your decision."

Some people have been emailing me responses they are hearing from Frito.
Frito is feeling the heat and said they are very glad to be contacted by
consumers who are supporting their decision. It's very important that we
keep the pressure up on our end.

We don't know at this point whether all of the farmers who supply Fritos
are going GE-free; but we do know they are taking a big step in the right
direction.

Yesterday, Sierra Club sent out a press release to major media outlets,
commending Frito-Lay. The American Corn Growers Associaton's support of
Frito's decision was included in the press release. One of the goals of
this action is consumer education, that this is happening in the first
place. Targeting Fritos is a prudent angle, because Fritos is a household
name (although not mine; my family eats organically). Once the consumer
knows what's happening, they'll be more incensed. Whenever I've given
testimony, I've heard (time and time again) the producers say they will
give the consumers what they want.

This is not an end-all to transgenic agriculture, but it may contribute to
the downfall. Of course our end goal is for all farmers to raise crops
organically and for family farmers to supply regional needs. *But right
now, campaign-wise, it's important to focus on this one step.* Hopefully
the end of this mess will be for consumers to continue to push the organic
market, just as they have been doing, until we finally have a sustainable
food system for consumers and farmers alike.

Laurel Hopwood
Biotech Task Force Chair, Sierra Club
laurel.hopwood AT sierraclub.org

CONTACTING FRITO-LAY:
email: <consumer.affairs AT fritolay.com>
call 1-800-352-4477, and ask for operator 100
or write them at Frito-Lay, P.O. Box 660634, Dallas, TX,
75266-0634

Tell them that you don't believe that genetically engineered food is safe
for consumer or environmental health and you commend the direction they are
taking. And that it would be a big disappointment if they cave in and
reverse their decision.
----
For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the Ban-GEF list,
send email to Ban-GEF AT lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.

Search the archives (since '97) at http://www.txinfinet.com/ban-gef/, or go
to a recent day's digest at http://www.txinfinet.com/ban-gef/00/. Updated
weekly.
----

  • American Farm Bureau... again!, Ericka & Rich Dana, 02/15/2000