market-farming - Good Butternut varieties? was Non-hollow stem vine crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: sanet <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>, Market Farming List <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, orGANicgrowing AT egroups.com
  • Subject: Good Butternut varieties? was Non-hollow stem vine crops
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:14:39 -0800

Yes, you're right! I forgot to mention that I'd heard butternuts were among
the hardier ones, but last year I only had seed for "Nicklow's Delight"
which was a new one for me, and it did very poorly and I didn't have enough
seed to re-plant it.
So this year I'm going back to some of my old stand-by butternut varieties,
but am still open to suggestions.
Thanks -
Ericka, Catnip Farm

--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.
>From: "Kimberly Stoner" <kstoner AT caes.state.ct.us>
>To: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
>Subject: Re: Non-hollow stem vine crops (squash, melons)
>Date: Mon, Feb 14, 2000, 7:05 AM
>
> I believe that butternut winter squashes generally have solid stems. Their
> resistance to squash vine borers has been attributed to the solidity of
> their stems.
> Kim Stoner

  • Good Butternut varieties? was Non-hollow stem vine crops, Ericka & Rich Dana, 02/14/2000