market-farming - Re: edemame was niche marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: edemame was niche marketing
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:04:24 -0400

What kind of money do they bring on the west coast? (BTW these also freeze well in their pods. BTW, If you get edemame from a sushi bar ($1-3 for less than a cup of them), they are usually sourced from the freezer.

Last year someone was offering a 'special variety' on SANET. This variety was harvested by cutting the stem and leaving the beans on the stem and selling the 'whole plant' in this fashion. (beans on a tree, or something like that.)

Incidentally, edame makes the best attractant for GROUND HOGS that we've ever had !! :-) :-(

Hi -
these are marketed all over the west coast. FYI growers, I've learned as the parent of a
five-year-old that they're one of the few vegetables my son will eat - and really enjoy.
They taste like buttery boiled peanuts, and they're fun to pop out of their pods. So you
could tell customers with kids they'll love them. In Japan (as no doubt some of you know)
they're served steamed in the pod as beer snacks, so could be used here similarly.

Adriana Gutierrez wrote:

> We have found a niche for growing fresh vegetable soybeans (edamame).
Sue, who are you marketing these to?
Here is a web site with great information on edamame and other interesting
vegetables in cluding ginseng and pea shoots:
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/vegtble.htm

---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: blevy AT rsocsun.tamu.edu

---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: igg AT igg.com