market-farming - Re: beets (was market niches)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: beets (was market niches)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:06:57 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Betsy wrote:

> I was just wondering - I've seen golden beets on produce stands, but never
> the white
> beets I've seen in seed catalogs. Has anyone tried growing and selling
> them? Were they
> well received?

Mangels; sugar beets.

Seeds of Change or see a mini-faq on mangels:

http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm/seeds+plants/mangel-seed-sources

Text follows:

Sources for mangel, or mangel wurtzel, sugar beets

Seeds of Change
http://st4.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/beetceroryel.html
Beet, Certified Organic Yellow Intermediate Mangel
As discussed in the historical 1885 book,
The Vegetable Garden, this wonderful,
olive-shaped mangel beet has "flesh..(which)..is firm, very nutritious,
and
white,..(with)..skin..of a more orange yellow." Productive, tapered roots
mature
sweetly and can grow up to 10 lbs. The 12-18 in. leaves provide generous
amounts
of chard-like steamed greens. A reliable keeper. (70 days) Min. wt.: 2.25
gm. per
pack $6.25/oz, $20/ 1/4lb.

Other sources for mangels:
<>

The livestock forage variety is different.
This gentleman will know where to get that variety:
L.Michael Smith
lmikes AT feist.com
he describes his use of mangel here:
http://www.ausbcomp.com/redman/our_plan.htm

-

Chase Organics (GB with an outlet in Ireland)
They offer Mangel 'Prizewinner'.

-

R. H. Shumway's lists two types of mangels, 'Golden Tankard' and
'Colossal Long Red' as well as two other beets for stock-feeding
(or sugar-making).

R.H. Shumway Seedsman
PO Box 1
Graniteville, SC 29820-0001
TEL 1-803-663-9771
FAX 1-888-437-2733

-

Bountiful Gardens,
18001 Shafer Ranch Road,
Willits, CA 95490-9626 USA
voice/fax 707-459-6410
Email: bountiful AT zapcom.net
http://www.bountifulgardens.org/beets.htm

Mangels: A very sweet and very nutritious type of beet. Mangels were
originally a
high output fodder crop, but like white carrots a few varieties
were bred for fine taste. A good provider of food, calories & large
amounts of
compost material. Grows half-above the soil, so easy to
harvest.

Early Yellow Intermediate Mangels - Quite famous variety, first developed
by the
great Vilmorin in the 1800's. The first & still arguably the best gourmet
mangel.
Large half-long oval roots, grey-green shoulder well above the
ground. Orange base.
Solid white flesh. 12-18" tops. B Price $2.00

Shumway also offers a couple of varieties.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
metalab.unc.edu/market-farming Market Farming
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu