market-farming - Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs-basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs-basil
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:36:42 -0800

>Hi all,
>
>To encourage barnching, we pinch the plants back when they are 3-4 inches

Ummm, that would be branching, I don't do anything with basil in the barn.

Well, that's not entirely true. After we strip the leaves for drying from
the woody plants ( we cut them at ground level,) we dried the woody part,
bundled it and sold it for smoking wood on BBQs. I'll bet it would go over
really well with some of the new grill-type restaurants :-)

PS I didn't originate this idea, but can't remember where I stole it.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA