market-farming - cover crop mixes for poultry/vegetable multi-cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: cover crop mixes for poultry/vegetable multi-cropping
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:51:19 -0500

> We've now settled on mixes of grains & annual rye, for several reasons.
> This type of mix can be either grazed by other animals early in the
> spring to maintain grazing height, or mowed. Either treatment may
> stimulate the grains to "tiller"out, enhancing root growth & additional
> leaf growth. Cereal rye has some alleleopathic effects on weed seeds,
> diminishing their ability to germinate. This type of mix may also be
> established much later in the season, an important aspect in a climate
> that often sees little precipitation during the growing season until well
> into October when light levels are much diminished.

Aaron, your choice is well thought out, and I wonder if you've considered
the "permaculture guild" as a guide for cover cropping. The guild can call
for 3 or more plants, one with a lot of biomass, one with a lot of height
and carbon, and the third as a N fixer. Do you see any cover crop
combinations that will result in this kind of synergy?

Thanks,

Andy Lee