market-farming - Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 23:46:07 -0500

Lawrence wrote:> How do you deal with pathogens in the manure. Do you
dig it in,
> mix it with other material (or finished compost) to be composted in
> situ, plant cover crops into it or mix rock powders and garden
biomass
> with it for composting (and easier release of micronutrients from
the
> rock powders)?<

I always include 1 bed for chickens in my bed rotation. I use silkies
for this as they are small, and excellent foragers. For the chosen
bed that is to be home, I mow/cut the cover crop, leaving it lying on
the soil, never turning it under. The bed is enclosed with wire,
shelter placed in one end, then the chickens are added to the bed
(4'x100'). This is usually first of January. They stay on it until
June (6 months), after which I allow it to sit for 60 days-as per
regulations from state certifying agency, add amendments (compost,
rock phosphate, etc.) & replant with tranplants for fall crops.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC