market-farming - Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 20:21:02 EST

Hi Andy-
One of the practices we like best is to move a modified chicken tractor into
one of our rotational zones when the crop is ready to come out---peas for
example---then put a portable 3' wire fence held up by a t-post every 15' or
so around that zone. The chicken tractor was "modified" by cutting a hinged
door into the side. Thus it serves as a moveable dormitory where the
chickens sleep, drink and lay eggs, but they spend their days outside
cleaning up the crop residue, vines, etc., and scratching around everywhere
for a week or two, then move on to another similar zone. It works nicely
because we lock them in at night, thus can easily drag the tractor with them
inside to their next work location, move the fence, and then let them out to
go at it.
Bob and Bonnie Gregson, Island Meadow Farm, Vashon, WA