market-farming - poultry in asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: poultry in asparagus
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 17:08:52 -0500

> I'm thinking of covering the rows of asparagus with
> wire hoop tunnels, then pasturing poultry in the area.
> Please comment on this notion. :-)

Excellent idea. We use electric poultry netting with turkeys and chickens to
hog down the asparagus at the end of the season. The netting is initially
expensive ($127 per 165-feet), but we keep moving it as needed, so it
actually turns out to be cheaper than wire fencing, and more effective in
foraging as well as predator management.

Andy Lee
Central Virignia

  • poultry in asparagus, Andy Lee & Pat Foreman, 02/05/2000