market-farming - Dennis Avery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dennis Avery
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 00 08:37:12 -0800

I did not see the "article" last night. However, after cruising through
the list's venting and checking out abc's discussion site, several themes
are apparent:

1) Use of either raw manure or bio-sludge on Organic crops was mentioned.
As WE all know, not only is this either regulated by certifiers or
outright disallowed, but use of bio-sludge was one of the points
generating the huge outcry to the preliminary Standards published by the
USDA last year. Rebuttals to the show will be more effective if focused
on points such as this.

2) Dennis Avery: While I did not see the show, I am very familiar with
this unsavory character. Unfortunately, he is not a crackpot, is VERY
intelligent and has a wonderful command of his statistics. In fact, much
of what he says makes sense - regardless of whether you support his
conclusion. His latest book is "Saving the World through Pesticides &
Plastics," a well written treatise on the savior of agricultural
technology. While his research is blind to the workings of Organics and
the faults of Conventional ag, some of what he writes has truth. How many
of the commercial growers on the list utilize plastic mulches of one sort
or another? In western Oregon, where summer temps regularly dip to the
high 40s at night, many of our crops wouldn't be worth growing without
IRT film, or assisted by tunnels or floating row covers. We irrigate with
T-tape - 100% plastic product that ends up in the landfill eventually.
Current organics is just as high-tech as conventionals, even while many
of the smaller producers practice "exclusion" methods (just not doing
anything). The Hudson Institute is a Conservative think tank based in
Indiana, focused on agricultural issues. Yes, much of their funding comes
from the big ag companies. Many of their statements and published
treatises have unsubstantiated statements and conclusions. Their
effectiveness is in their ability to publish, and have media connections
that allow them to have their positions distributed to mass audiences.

3) This show illustrates the impetus for the current formulation of
National Organic Standards. Remember that the legislation calling for the
USDA to oversee these standards was brought about by FARMERS. They
recognized that the acceptance of Organics by the larger marketplace
would be stymied if certification never developed beyond the current
quilt structure. Regardless of my personal feelings towards
certification, Avery's effectiveness and the apparent bias of the show
demonstrate the vulnerability the Organic industry faces without USDA
sanctioned standards.

Aaron

Creative Growers
Aaron Silverman