market-farming - Re: potato scab revisited

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: potato scab revisited
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:43:32 -0800

Shelley wrote me privately, no doubt to save me from embarassment - thanks Shelley

>Actually Marcie, potato scab is also fungal.
>snip
>---------

>>From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>

snip
>> Scab on potatoes is caused by a soil bacteria
snip

Actually, we're both right, but I wouldn't have known that without your note.

The causal organism in Common scab is Streptomyces scabies from the family Actinomyces. These bacteria differ from other bacteria in that the are filimentous and produce spores - like fungi

The causal organism in Powdery scab is Spongospora subterranea, a soil fungus.

for those of you more interested in the topic

www.axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PNG/r607101011.html
www.ksu/plantpath/extension/facts/pot4.html
www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/BP/BP-8.html
www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioline/hyg-fact/3000/3105.html

Thanks, Shelley for keeping me on my toes.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA

  • Re: potato scab revisited, Marcie Rosenzweig, 02/04/2000