market-farming - Last rock phosphate questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Last rock phosphate questions
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:32:35

I'm away from my reference materials, can't find clear info on the web
(limited time to search), & really need some expert answers.

Is rock phosphate also called triple phosphate??
Does the color vary from mine to mine?

Liz

PS I went to purchase more rock phosphate at the same location where I got
my stuff last year. A new guy was available to help (They said the owner
was still on vacation, but I think he was hiding in the back!). I very
slowly, very plainly explained what I wanted-black rock phosphate from our
local state mine. They proceeded to load 14-50# bags. The clerk began
filling out the receipt & I looked over her shoulder. The loaded bags were
not what I ordered!! It was something else entirely. I asked if this was
rock phosphate, & they told me I could call it what ever I wanted. By this
time every worker on the dock was watching! (How embarrassing-this is a
very redneck area!) I repeated that this stuff must come from our local
state mine. I was again assured that it did. So I asked to see their
records of delivery. Guess what? Came from Florida, nothing wrong with
that, but NOT what I ordered. Why, I asked, when we can get our own,
BETTER, stuff just 50 miles away,like I did last spring. Cooporate
consolidation was the answer. They were flabbergasted when I kindly (with
gritted teeth!) requested those bags to be off loaded pronto. And then, as
I was leaving, the head guy had the gaul to ask, just what is organic
farming. I've got a long row to hoe!!