market-farming - Re: Bone meal, dried blood

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bone meal, dried blood
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:55:29 -0800

Liz, I think what scares me more about these products are the unknowns. I
remember hearing that no one could be sure that steaming or baking bone meal
would render the mad-cow prions inactive. There's just no way to know
because it can have an incubation period of up to 20 years. Who's been
testing that? Sojourner said that there haven't been any cases found here
(YET). There may be animals or people running around with the prions in
their systems, just waiting to become active.
The thing is, I'm not certain enough that it's safe. I don't want to absorb
these things.
I wouldn't mind composting offal from my own animals that have been feed
only vegetable proteins, but not if they've been fed animal products.
Shelley
Whistling Train Farm
Kent, WA