market-farming - RE: Corn Gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Corn Gluten
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:07:43 -0600

I trialed it several years ago in our unheated coldframe on early tomatoes.
It worked impressively where the soil alternated between moist and dry. Not
at all where it was either too dry or too wet. I bought it from "Gardens
Alive" in their first promotion of it and got a really good price and it was
golden yellow, finely granulated. What the feed mills often have has
molasses added to it. Also, with the high amount of corn acreage in the US
being planted to transgenic varieties (BT and Roundup Ready), I'd be
cautious about trying it again. It also has a N response, so of you use it,
be careful of how much other nitrogen source you are using.
I'd be interested in any sources anyone has for corn gluten without GMO
varieties that is pure. It does work.

Alison Wiediger
Smiths Grove, KY