market-farming - Re: Permanent Raised Beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permanent Raised Beds
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:21:43 -0500

For those who make permanent raised beds, do you "box" them in with
> anything? Wooden slats, concrete blocks, stone?

We started with enclosed beds and did not like it. The wood we used lasted
only a few years, made managing quack grass difficult, and harbored sow bugs
to an extent that they became a pest. They DID provide great snake habitat,
however.

> If you don't, what prevents them from eroding?

They erode throughout the season, and if they get too low we "hill" them
back up with a garden rake. Our soil is very light and sandy.

> Also, how do you treat your pathways? Do you mow them, mulch them, weed
> them, nuke them?

We hand hoe or mulch deeply between paths (grass clippings are great in the
paths, and we have also used woodchips with good results, and cardboard box
material)

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf