market-farming - Re: Permanent Raised Beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permanent Raised Beds
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:17:22 -0500

Rose & Fred Lieberman wrote:

> It always seemed to me - with no experience in permanent raised beds - that
> over time the bed would become dense and lose its tilth, then you'd have to
> go into the bed with a tiller of some kind, and that would be more of a
> pain.
>
> What am I not understanding?

Rose,

We have 70 raised beds, all of which have been tilled (not rototilled) one
time. They're
"raised" because of the amount of air space our tillage incorporated into the
soil- not
by adding material on top. Some of these beds were tilled 15 years ago and
none have ever
been tilled again.

Our soil management techniques encourage the soil life to build and maintain
a stable
soil structure which maintains the physical structure established by the
tillage.

What you're not understanding is how to maintain a stable soil structure
which then makes
any further tillage destructive.

Alex