market-farming - Re: broadforks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: broadforks
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:02:16 -0400

John Jeavons was one of the early popularizers of the broadfork. He gives plans for making one in his 'backyard minihomestead book' (title approximate!!) The forks he recommends are great monsters, designed by a pair of Berkeley engineers. He specifies the quality of steel used in the fork (angle iron, etc) Even a large man is not comfortable lifting one of these forks repeatedlly, so you drag it backwards along the bed until you get to the next bite point, adjust it perpendicular to the bed surface, jump on it with both feet, then throw your weight backwards to get the soil lift. Try this in stiff soil with the Smith and Hawken fork (which, btw, has much shorter tines - - at least mine does) and you're likely to be lying flat on your back staring at the sky with two broken wooden handles in your hands. (Worse, of course, in my beds, which are studded with 1/2 inch rebar for poly hoops, an uncontrollable fall like that can lead to a fatal piercing.:-) Someone in MD fabricates the Jeavons forks. (Check with MOFFA) Last I hear, they were asking around $300 for one.

Hope this is helpful.

-Allan Balliett
Biodynamics Now!
csa AT claymont.org

> I've been looking for a broad fork for some time.

Where can I find one - an affordable one (no Smith and Hawken for me),
that is!

Robert.

We got ours from Smith and Hawken before they got quite so cute. Try:

A.M Leonard
800-543-8955
I couldn't find it in the catalogue on hand now, but I am *almost* sure they
have one

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
888-784-1722
Deep Spader, similar to a broadfork and Bio-fork

Johnny's
207-437-4395
Eliot Coleman design Broadfork

Jim and Jo