market-farming - Home commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Home commercial kitchen
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:06:21 -0800

I live in Masschusetts and one is allowed to produce certain value added
products in one's kitchen after having been inspected by one's town health
department. I quizzed one of the local inspectors about it. Because I had
just read the regs I "knew" more than he. But he was pleasant, he comes for
our yearly barn inspection. Our only barn is a three sides pole barn which
houses the sheep and has a rarely used stall for horses which double duties
as a place for sick cows. But he and my husband walk the farm and have a
pleasant chat. So it made me realize if you start with a nice guy and then
work with him it might not be too difficult.
My new kitchen is half done just a regular kitchen, but some of the codes
have "loop holes". Should have 3 unit sink. The third unit can be a
plastic basin. Counters must be seamless my new formica types are(well one
side). Must wash dishes with either heat or chemicals. Some other codes
would be harder but I think its to the discretion of local inspector, such
as having a self closing door on an ajacent bathroom, I guess so you can
kick door open and not touch it?
Oh well I just want to make jelly and relish and maybe not this year anyway.
Good luck Beth

  • Home commercial kitchen, Hook Family, 02/02/2000