market-farming - Re: Uncomposted manures and raw food product safety

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Uncomposted manures and raw food product safety
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:42:59 -0800

Leigh, Liz, etal,

Perhaps I should have clipped this down. It's probably not as important to
talk about how E. coli mutated to this form (mostly because the powers
that be would debate it to death rather than do something drastic about it)
than to recognize that bedding from any critter, be it horses, cow,
turkeys, chikens,etc., should be composted before being applied to food
growing beds.

You're right Leigh, this isn't the forum for how increasingly
industrialized agriculture acts to promote these catastrophes :-) PS Sanet
has run a couple of threads on that topic.

> How did E. coli get into the apple juice products? The government
>doesn't have answers yet.
> However, this is not the first time unpasteurized apple juice or apple
>cider has been implicated
> as a cause of E. coli infection. In previous cases, squirrels and farm
>animals in the orchards
> were the original source of the E. coli bacteria. The bacteria then
>spread via fecal
> contamination to fallen apples that weren't washed before they were
>included in a vat of apple
> juice. The vat then was not pasteurized before the juice was sold at
>roadside stands.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA